Pages

Sunday 15 September 2013

Oat Flour Crepe

a vegan quick bread

I had some mango chutney (achār or whatever) left from last night but I didn't have any more chapati to eat it with and I didn't want to settle for ordinary bread.  I was basically looking for an excuse to play with the stove so I decided to make some crepes.  The bummer was I didn't have flour anymore so I improvised.  Thus, I came up with something vegan, gluten-free and awesome!



If you follow the recipe strictly, you'll come up with:

- 2 medium sized crepes


You will need:
- 150 grams (1 cup) of oat flour * You can make it yourself by grinding oatmeal in a coffee grinder until it becomes completely powdered. 
- 250 millilitres (1 cup) of soy/almond/coconut or any non-dairy milk * In my case, I used organic soy milk. 
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil * If you use coconut milk, omit this ingredient. 
- 1 tablespoon of agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey, if you're okay with it) 
- 1 unit equivalent of banana-based egg substitute * Click on the link to know how to make it.
- ¼ teaspoon of salt 
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder


To make pancakes:
1.  Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl, including the banana egg substitute. 
2.  Add in all the dry ingredients to the mixing wet ingredients in this order:  Flour, salt, and baking powder 
3.  Make sure your batter is a little bit runny.  If, by your good judgement, it's not runny enough, mix in a bit more vegetable milk.  Make sure it doesn't become too fluid because then it will fall apart when you flip it since it's completely gluten-free. 
4.  Cook over low heat with a non-stick or greased pan.  Spread it fairly thin all over the surface.  A minute on each side will likely do.  Make sure you flip it carefully since it won't hold as well as normal gluten-filled crepes would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and be awesome!