I wanted to make mango chutney but I didn't have all the right spices so I thought I'd simplify it and make achār instead. Then again, I wanted it to be sweet, so I decided to improvise using simple ingredients. If Mango chutney and mango achār were to make love and have babies, at least one of them would probably taste like this.
If any Indians are reading this, please don't get mad. I love you!
If you follow this recipe strictly, you'll come up with about half a small jar of whatever this thing is.
You will need:
- 1 large mango (flesh only), roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons of ginger paste or shredded ginger * If you don't like ginger, reduce it to 1 teaspoon. Remember that a little ginger goes a long way.
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric (paste or powder) * This is for colour.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of agave nectar (or honey if you're not opposed to the idea)
- ⅓ cup of water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (or a little less)
To make it:
1. Sauté the ginger paste in olive oil over low heat for a few seconds.
2. Add in your mango and sauté for about a minute.
3. Add in the turmeric and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Stir the salt, vinegar and sweetener in.
5. Stir in water and simmer over very low heat (with occasional stirring) until thick.